Poverty in Africa is not a joke. In fact, it is a serious matter that affects the continent greatly. The problem is so bad that there are currently more than 1 billion people living in Africa who live below the poverty line.
If you want to help the children of Africa, there are many things you can do to improve their situation and potentially change their lives for the better. But before you can help, you need to know about the children’s conditions and see what they are going through. So here is a list of options for those who want to make a difference in Africa:
– Raise funds – one of the best things you can do is set up an account with any bank and start collecting donations from people who support your cause and mission – if the funds are collected, you can use them to purchase nets that will protect children from malaria-carrying mosquitos (for every $3 donated, one child is protected for 4 years).
– Improve children’s lives – since many African countries lack sufficient schools and teachers to help their students, those who have access to education are lucky. So if you have the money, you can set up a school or sponsor an individual child with supplies and education.
– Raise awareness – one of the best ways to help African children is by promoting awareness about their situation. If people are more knowledgeable, they will understand why certain actions need to be taken in order for African children to succeed. So share information about the children of Africa with your friends and social media contacts, so that everyone can educate themselves.
– Volunteer – if you have the inclination to help in person, then go volunteer with an organization that works closely with African children. You can pack up along with the supplies which will be used for kids in need. Besides volunteering, you can also get involved with charity organizations that do fundraising campaigns for African children.
– Donate – you can also choose to donate your time and money, but make sure you pick a credible organization. These days, there are many such organizations on the Internet who work toward providing aid to children in Africa. Look online and see if any of them offer attractive ways to get involved. If you have extra supplies at home, you can always pack them up and take them with you when traveling to Africa.
– Travel – if you are an adventurous traveler or backpacker, then visit Africa. You can travel around the continent for 6 months without being stopped by authorities who want to ask questions about your activities. After reaching your destination of choice, you can start helping children living in that area.
– Volunteer at orphanages – if you are comfortable with kids, then you can take up duties at an orphanage or charity home for abandoned children. You will be their guardian during your stay and you will be working closely with other volunteers who are also involved in the cause to provide care and aid to these children.
– Work with local schools – you can also work with local schools by teaching English, music or sports. This way, the children will learn new things that they can pass on to others when they grow up.
– Work at orphanages – another option is to take up duties at an orphanage for abandoned kids. You will be their guardian during your stay and you will be working closely with other volunteers who are also involved in the cause to provide care and aid to these children.
Using the above options for things to do that will help African children, you can make a difference in their lives even if you don’t live nearby. These kids need all the help they can get, so it will be good if you pick different options to help out.